How Do I Report Nursing Home Abuse in Maryland?

caregiver with senior

One of the hardest decisions you may have to make in your life is whether or not to place your loved one in a nursing home facility. You may ultimately accept that around-the-clock care is in their best interest. However, you may be unequipped for the devastating realization that your loved one has been made the victim of abuse by the nursing home staff this whole time. The moment that this is brought to your attention, you must react. Follow along to find out how to report nursing home abuse and how a proficient Landover Maryland personal injury lawyer at The Law Office of Conrad W. Judy III, LLC can work to ensure justice is served.

What are the most common examples of nursing home abuse?

You must be your loved one’s protector throughout their entire nursing home stay. This is regardless of whether the facility is seemingly safe. What’s more, you must listen wholeheartedly to any minor complaint your loved one may have about the facility or its staff. This may be the slightest indication that there is abuse happening behind closed doors. Without further ado, below are common examples of nursing home abuse that, if you are made aware of, you must report immediately:

  • Your loved one may have been restrained to their bed with straps or ties.
  • Your loved one may have been denied sufficient food and water.
  • Your loved one may have been the victim of unwanted sexual contact.
  • Your loved one may have been physically isolated from other residents.
  • Your loved one may have been forced to share access to their bank accounts.

What do I need to do to report nursing home abuse in Maryland?

First things first, you must remove your loved one from the nursing home facility as soon as you get word, or witness firsthand, them being abused. Almost immediately after, you should notify a staff member of the abusive incident or series of incidents. Or better yet, you should inform the nursing home’s social worker, practicing physician, administrator, supervisor, or director.

Unfortunately, the nursing home staff may not do their due diligence in investigating the incident. If this happens, you may take more drastic measures on your loved one’s behalf. That is, you may have to file a complaint with the Maryland Department of Health, Office of Health Care Quality. In an emergency situation, you may reach this office at (401) 402-8108 or toll-free at (877) 402-8219.

Last but not least, you may go as far as filing a nursing home abuse lawsuit on your loved one’s behalf. With this, you should not proceed without the strong legal representation of a talented Landover Maryland personal injury lawyer. So please contact our firm, The Law Office of Conrad W. Judy III, LLC, today.

Recent Blogs